Establishing paternity

Under New York State law, a child born to unmarried parents has no legal father.  To establish paternity, the parents can complete the Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity (AOP).  If they fail to meet the requirements of the AOP, they can establish paternity by filing a paternity petition in family court.